Montana Medical Savings Account
Save for future healthcare costs and reduce your Montana state income tax at the same time. You can utilize a Montana Medical Savings Account (MSA) instead of or in addition to a federal HSA. Unlike an HSA, there is no requirement to be covered by a high deductible health plan.
- Earn competitive interest on entire balance
- Contributions are tax deductible on your Montana state income tax return*
- Interest grows tax free
- Withdrawals are tax free when used for qualified medical expenses (see More Info tab)
- Money rolls over year-to-year automatically
- Account is owned by you, not employer
- Only $25 minimum balance to waive $5 monthly service charge
- FDIC insured
*Consult with a tax advisor.
- More Info
Qualified (tax-free) medical expenses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Medical, vision, and dental expenses
- Health insurance premiums
- Prescription drugs
- Nursing and long-term care expenses
- Transportation for medical care
- Certain lodging expenses
- Hearing aids
- Medical expenses for a spouse or dependent child (in most cases)
Withdrawals for non-qualified medical expenses are subject to state income tax and a 10% penalty. The 10% penalty is waived for persons 65 and over or who have become disabled.
You may contribute up to $3,000 each year to your Montana MSA. Joint accounts are not allowed, but spouses are able to establish separate MSAs.
The Summit Club
Enjoy life to the fullest with our travel and social club for ages 50+.More Details